The Beylerbeyi Palace (Turkish: Beylerbeyi Sarayı, Beylerbeyi meaning “Lord of Lords”) is located in Turkey at the Asian side of the Bosphorus, the Beylerbeyi neighbourhood of Istanbul. An Imperial Ottoman summer residence built in the 1860s, it is now situated immediately north of the Bosphorus Bridge.
Beylerbeyi Palace was used as a summer palace by Sultan Abdulaziz (1861-1876). During the reign of Sultan Abdülaziz ve Abdülhamid II, the palace acquired the characteristics of a state guest house beginning with its allocation to the foreign states’ sovereigns and presidents during their official visits. The first important guest, who was entertained at Beylerbeyi Palace, was Empress Eugenie of France.
The architect was Sarkis Balyan who was the brother of Nikoğos Balyan, the architect of Dolmabahçe Palace. Balyan family served as the principle architects of the Ottoman Sultanate in the 19th century.
The palace which was built in neo-Baroque style has 24 rooms, 6 halls, one hamam (Turkish bath) and one bathroom. Since Sultan Abdülaziz was very fond of the sea and ships, there are many ship paintings to be observed throughout the palace.